More and more people are committed to sustainable lifestyle and everything that entails: energy consumption, not using plastics and organic food among other things.
Ibiza has always been a pioneer place, model for healthy lifestyle and respectful with the environment. There is an increasing part of the community that is starting to grow their own vegetable gardens in their backyards and terraces. There are alternatives for everyone depending on the available space and it does not involve a high cost.
Steps to create your own organic vegetable garden:
1. First of all, the most important thing is to choose a good place with the right land, at least six hours of sunlight per day and it must be easy to irrigate. If it can be outdoors the results will be better, and it is also advisable to be covered on days of heavy rain.
2. We recommend that home gardens to be made of aromatic plants and vegetables that adapt easily to all types of soil and conditions. (The ideal plants to make an organic garden are carrots, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, beets, cauliflower, paprika, parsley, tomato and cucumbers among others.)
3. Find the space in the garden or in the pots where each of the vegetables and aromatic plants are chosen to be grown in. Growing in pots is just as successful as growing directly on the ground. Only a few medium-sized pots are needed where you can plant everything you want to grow, and if the garden is to be planted directly in the land it is important to remove the weeds and clean the land so that the garden grows without problems.
It is very important to choose the right substrate, it is recommended to mix earthworm humus and coconut fiber. The humus contributes the necessary nutrients and the coconut fiber favors the retention of the humidity and the good growth of the vegetables.
4. Cultivation tools must be small and manageable. You will need: a shovel, scissors to prune and collect the fruits, a rake, a shower and a sprayer to fumigate.
5. Finally, you have to pay attention to watering. You have to keep in mind that the best time to water is the sunset because it favors the infiltration of water into the substrate. These irrigations should be frequent but light, when you plant in pots it has lower water absorption capacity.
Following these steps you will enjoy your homemade organic meals. Now you only have to think the delicious recipes you will cook with your vegetables to enjoy all their flavor!